My Work.
from Land, Aerial and Underwater

To Receive Or Not To Receive Money | Being a Journalist

I started working as a cameraman in 2006, since then I have been able to go to some places covering so many issues and stories. Most of them are very interesting to me, I'm guessing my supervisor knew me quite well so they know where to send me to.

I can say that I have been to a lot of places in Indonesia and I love it! But, that's not what I want to share to you right now.

I am very proud that at the beginning of my journey as a cameraman, as a tv crew, I was in the right hand learning from the best team I've ever met. Why? Not just technical matters but it was about how I became (I can say) a good journalist. There is one thing that I could never forget that my mentors and supervisors said to me "don't ever accept money because of your job".

Well, the last time I talked with some tv crews some of them were talking about this thing and some of them think that it is ok to accept money or gifts because of their job. To me, that is unacceptable.

I've been in that situation for sometimes, I remember this one time in Kuala Lumpur after covering a press conference the committee tried to give us an envelope. At that time I was just accompanying my fellow cameraman whose leg was hurt, I helped him to carry the tripod and other stuffs.

The other time was when I and my reporter finished covering a story related to the local government and they asked us to sign some paper and they said it was just for some kind of proof of guest list but then after that they tried to slip us an envelope.

I'd rather back off and refuse it politely at these kind of situations because it's just not the right thing to do (at least to me). And that's what I've been taught.

Lately, I'm glad that I can join a group of freelancers working for foreign media and also most of my work doesn't involved journalism/news lately so that I can say I'm safe for now working as a professional and commercial cinematographer/cameraman or even as a producer sometimes and I don't have to deal with those situations anymore.

Lots have been going on in Indonesia lately, especially about news and politics and to me those two things can be very dangerous and scary sometimes. I'm hoping there will be more people making good and positive news and articles, creative and positive content in their own way. Doesn't necessarily news content, it could be anything as long as it is based on facts and truth, trustworthy, positive and spreading good vibes to all elements of the society.

It would be a better world because of what we do, it would be a broken world also because of what we do. I hope you choose a better world.
Otto Ferdinand Otto Ferdinand Author

Follow me on instagram

Follow me on instagram

Follow me on twitter

Follow me on twitter